Sunday 12 May 2019

Lego Marvel Avengers (Endgame) 76124; War Machine Buster: I see that hatred against knees is still a thing.

Thanks to the combined interest in Bionicle and Exo-Force (probably the only thing I've been interested in that has a connection to Gundam), I've been interested in Lego Mechs. I enjoy seeing mocs that people create online, to seeing what Lego creates officially. The only problem is that official mechs nowadays have been struggling in the movement department. While it's understandable because these are still for kids, I get frustrated when I see mechs with unmoveable limbs, stuck in a single position for all time. It was my biggest issue with the Hulkbuster from the Infinity War line, and to spoil it quickly, it looks like War Machine got it even worse.




To fly through the minifigs, more Outriders, nothing new to report, War Machine and Ant-Man have those special suits, same print as Caps. War Machine's helmet stands out in a bad way though, as it keeps the traditional silver with red eyes look, along with a shoulder-mounted stud shooter which you'll either be fine with or hate, it depends on your view of the stud shooters. On the Ant-Man side, he has a new helmet that's more accurate to the movies, past releases have given him more of a comic focused helmet, kinda like a weird hybrid of the two. However, I admit I say that as someone who only knows of the original helmet look that was meant to look like an ant head.


In regards to the War Machine Buster itself, I don't know if this is better or worse then last year's Hulkbuster... the small one, not the collectors one. There's no arm swivel gimmick this time, as all the functions other then possibility are focused on all the stud shooters it has. There also aren't any CCBS pieces in this one, it's all entirely brick built, with some interesting, though basic tricks are thrown in. But in terms of possibility, it's so much worse than the Hulkbuster. You get movement in the flick missiles and the six-shot stud shooter, but the legs are the same as the Hulkbuster in terms of movement, and the arms are always locked at 90 degrees at the elbow. Granted, this one has elbows, but there was still a workable amount of movement in the arms on the Hulkbuster. What is there is also hindered by the shape of the shoulder pads, meaning you only get a finite amount of outward movement before you start breaking up the look. I've honestly been tempted to get a second one of this set for cheap online just to salvage for parts to make this thing moveable. It wouldn't help for the shoulders, but what I wouldn't get in that, I'd get in being able to have elbows, knees and maybe more wrist movement than a swivel.


In terms of looks, it is impressive to look at, due to the extra bulk in the build. It has enough playability in it thanks to the weapons for kids, but like with Cap's bike, there isn't much here for adults to enjoy. I do wish they would look into making a set of pieces that could take more weight but still allow for a wide variety of movement options, in the vain hope that they make some moveable lego mechs. A big problem I have with them, and I openly admit this, is that I can't help but compare them to the memories I have to lines like Bionicle and Exo-Force. While objectively, mechs like the War Machine Buster are certainly better built, even I'll admit the Exo-Force mechs were flimsy, the more poseable joints compensated for it, allowing for a lot of movement that even children could enjoy. As a current day Lego Mech, it's fine. Looks more impressive than the Hulkbuster, about as playable as the Hulkbuster, but I still wait for the day when there's a Buster Suit with knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment