Monday 6 May 2019

Lego Marvel Avengers (Endgame) 76123; Captain America Outrider Attack: Oh my god what's wrong with your face?

Yes, it's an old meme, but a fitting one.

Where would MAYvel be, without reviewing Marvel Cinematic Universe Lego sets? Or rather, where would MAYvel be without reviewing Lego Marvel sets in general, because with the exception of that Spider-Man wave which I don't plan to get even though I want those minifigs, the Lego Marvel Superheroes line is now just Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not complaining of course, especially because the large gaps including the Fantastic 4, a lot of the Mutants and any inhuman not named Mrs Marvel, are probably going to be filled in eventually due to how self-sustaining this thing has become. It'll honestly be interesting to see what happens now that Avengers Endgame has come out, to see if it is as self-sustaining now that the events that happened in it did happen. I won't be spoiling anything about Endgame here, including how accurate the sets are in the movie, all that I will say is that there are sets that never appear in the movie. Shall we begin?



I'll skip over the Outriders because, for the most part, they're the same as they were last year. Two get new back arms with gold claws, while a third gets a shoulder guard piece, with some golden claws. Same print, same articulation. We good to move on? Good. Captain America is the one I want to focus on here. Good things? The helmet is finally a separate piece and not just a print on the minifig's head. It finally happened! He's also now got a shield that is closer to the MCU look, so for those who can spot the differences, you should be happier with this new shield. Like all the Avengers in this line aside from Hulk, Iron Man and Captain Marvel, Cap's wearing a new suit that serves a large purpose in the second act of Endgame. I have no real issues with the new suits, but due to how abundant these are in the sets, I do wish we had the option to have Cap wear his traditional uniform as well. It's why I'm hoping there's a second wave of Endgame branded sets, to not only get some specific characters but to also get the other Avengers in clothes other than this suit. Some examples being (and it's in the promotional material so I don't count it as a spoiler) Rocket's more comic book accurate clothes, and the new War Machine suit. Cap, however, has a really, really big problem.

It should be said I tried my best to give Lego the benefit of the doubt here, thinking it was a printing error. Before writing this review, I contacted Customer Support to ask if the Captain America and Overwatch's Mercy minifigs I got were just from a bad batch, that it was an error that they fixed but not before the sets went to shelves. Turns out that while I got sent replacements, these were not a bad batch. The big problem that both have are the prints for the faces, and due to them being printed onto dark coloured heads (black for Mercy, and dark blue for Cap), what should be a cream skin tone comes out as grey. I've pointed out many different lights and light colours at these two, and nothing has improved it. What makes it worse is that the two look fine on their respected boxes, so it could be argued as false advertisement. I don't know how well the old Cap head looks with the new helmet piece, as I don't own an older Cap other than the Infinity War Cap, but as is, this is disgraceful, especially cause I know they can do better than this.
Even in this his face looks cream. What happened?

As for the bike itself, it's... certainly, a buildable lego bike meant to be played with. Most of the shape work looks great, with the main exception being the big plate shooters which stand out badly, the effects parts are used well, but like with all buildable bikes, it's way too big in terms of scale. This is not a problem if you want to play with the bike, that is its intentions, after all, Lego is still a toy at the end of the day. It does, however, make it harder to recommend for people looking to display it. As for people who want it for parts, there's nothing here that I feel like people would be wanting this set over aside from Cap's accessories and maybe the effects pieces, as this is a cheap set to get them in. I don't know if I can recommend this for people who want Outriders because I get the feeling a lot of people who want a lot of Outriders already have a lot of Outriders. The Outriders themselves also inflate the price of the set, I struggled to justify spending $35 for it and kicked myself when it went on sale a few weeks later cause I forgot about the Term 1 School Holiday Toy Sales. I'm personally glad I got some more of those disk plate shooters, but I'm still trying to figure out how to automate them and give them a "magazine" of sorts to automatically reload them. If anyone can point me in the right direction of how to do it, let me know.

Is it a bad set for kids? No, it was still an enjoyable thing to build. It won't satisfy a lot of older Lego fans though, and reasons for those older fans to get the set like the new Captain America are significantly lowered due to the awful headpiece. This is something I hope they address soon because this is honestly disgraceful, especially when compared to older minifigs like older Captain Americas, and even some like the old Jango and Bobba Fetts. I can normally let small issues slide when it comes to Minifig prints if it's not noticeable without looking very closely, it's honestly why I didn't notice any difference between the Bruce Banner minifigs from Thor Ragnarok and Avengers Infinity War. I don't know if Lego has addressed this issue. I hope they address this issue. I hope this issue stops happening. See you for the Ant-Man and The Wasp review on the main site during the week, and next Sunday I'm looking at another Buster Suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment